Thursday, August 21, 2014

The look for today is "Childhood Dreams and Aspirations"

I started getting into fashion at a fairly young age. I was probably 11 or 12 when I first discovered Dior Homme. I never really cared for fashion because my idea of men's fashion was basically 90's Versace. Which is a cool thing now but it certainly wasn't cool in the mid 2000's. I fell in love with the rock n' roll vibe that Hedi Slimane put out at Dior, it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I had seen skinny jeans and skinny ties but nothing to that extreme. I went home after school every day and just spent all my time listening to the Dior Homme soundtracks and looking through pictures of old runway shows and advertising campaigns and basically become a Dior expert.

My first purchase from Dior, or anything chic in general, came when I was in 8th grade. My dad used to take me and my sister to Sam's Club all the time and sometimes we'd stop by the optometrist's shop and I'd look at the sunglasses and when I discovered that they had a few pairs of sunglasses from Hedi's "Black Tie" collection, I nearly lost my shit, to the extent that a 13 year old boy could lose his shit. I saved up every penny I had, I even started packing my own lunch every day so I could save my leftover lunch money. I knew I had to have a piece of Dior in my life. Then came the day when the sunglasses made it to the sale table. I begged my dad to let me buy the sunglasses, and when I did, it was probably the most exciting moment of my life up to that point.

The point of all of this is to say that for as long as I've been into fashion, I've aspired to owning many things. And for the most part, I've never really been able to buy any of it until the last year or so. Usually I get tired of things very quickly but when an item is special enough, I won't stop searching until I find that item.

The first of which is a Dior Homme sweater that Hedi originally designed way back in the day. I visited the Dior Homme boutique in the Wynn hotel in Las Vegas once and this girl was wearing this oversized men's grey sweater that was all torn up along the seams, and I thought it was the most amazing sweater in the world. It went against everything luxury ready-to-wear was supposed to be. A few months ago when I found a similar one on Yoox.com, I knew it was finally my turn to own it. When I received it, I really felt like everything came around full circle. The item that sparked my interest in fashion is now a part of my wardrobe.

Another item that meant a lot to me were the Maison Martin Margiela "Pilot" sunglasses. I'll be completely honest, when I was in high school, I was OBSESSED with the first pair of l'Incognito sunglasses that were released. They were essentially just one rectangular lens with arms that looked to be a part of the lens. I absolutely HATED the second rendition, which was the exact pair I know own. The turning point was when Beyonce wore them in her Video Phone music video. I realized that they were actually amazing, but when I e-mailed the Maison Martin Margiela boutique in Beverly Hills, I found out they were $545. Which is a lot of money for a 17 year old student with no job. So I never got them and they eventually sold out everywhere.
During my second or third year of college, I managed to save enough money from my job serving samples at Costco to splurge on something nice. And I had just found these glasses on eBay and all of a sudden I was obsessed again. Even though I've only worn them a handful of times over the few years that I've owned them, I'm pretty sure this is something I'm gonna keep for the rest of my life. So there you have it. I've had fashun dreams and aspirations for as long as I can remember. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Sunglasses by Maison Martin Margiela
Sweater by Dior Homme
Jeans by Saint Laurent

No comments:

Post a Comment